April 12

Inquiry Project

This term the grade 3s are investigating the History and Geography of Barwon Heads. We are going to integrate our learning with our class take home pet – David the Lion.

Some ideas of what your child can do during the visit include:

• Asking parents, grandparents or an older person about some of their memories of their childhood in Barwon Heads. They can then record what they found out in the journal.
  • Research and write about one of the local shipwrecks.
  • Photographing or drawing an old item or photograph in your house.
  • Drawing a before and after picture of Barwon Heads (photos are on the internet).
  • Come up with their own idea that relates to the history or geography of Barwon Heads.
  • Compare our local environment to a different environment (city/country)
  • Research how the bluff was formed.
  • Read and write about marine sanctuaries.

Some of our inquiry questions:

• Who lived here first and how do we know?
  • How has our community changed? What features have been lost and what features have been retained?
  • What is the nature of the contribution made by different groups and individuals in the community?
  • How and why do people choose to remember significant events of the past? (e.g. ANZAC Day)

Students will take David the Lion home for 2-3 nights, write about their chosen topic of interest then, on return to school, share their findings. The highlights of their presentation will be shared with parents on COMPASS. This is an open-ended task and has been designed to be a fun and enjoyable experience. This activity gives students choice to investigate something that is of particular interest to them. They can write as little or as much as they wish. It also gives them a chance to showcase their organisation and public speaking skills!

What are you going to research about Barwon Heads?

Posted April 12, 2016 by mrburdess in category Uncategorized

22 thoughts on “Inquiry Project

1. Beatrix

Hi Mr Burdess. I can’t wait to go to the lobster pot! And I also can’t wait to learn more about the past in Barwon Heads! Beatrix

2. Maggie

Hi 3B,
    I am going to draw a picture of old Barwon Heads and Barwon Heads now,and I’m going to research
    about then and now.
    From maggie

3. Pippa

Hi mr B I’m going to research about who descoverd Barwon heads and draw a picture of old Barwon heads and new Barwon heads

4. Chelsea

Hi 3B! I can’t wait to get David the lion because I have a few ideas about what l’m going to do. Chelsea

1. mrburdess (Post author)

What a fantastic project Violet. You included so many interesting facts and I loved the way you presented so confidently and clearly. Mr B

5. Jack

Hi I’m jack and I’m really into sea life. this month we have a little friend with us his name is David- the lion. I’m doing sea life project in class today and I’m really excited.

6. Taiyo

Hi Mr B, the old Barwon heads bridge looks so different.It doesn’t have lines and it looks so weak. The bridge led to ocean grove and there was a hotel right near the bridge. The old Barwon heads looks so different to what it is now! From Taiyo

7. Harry

Hi 3B the old Barwon heads is different than the new Bawon Heads. When i take David home
    I am going to do it about the Barwon River.By Harry

8. Beatrix

Hi Mr Burdess. I can’t wait to take David or Fluffy home to learn about the bluff and how the bluff got it’s plants. Beatrix!

9. Beatrix

Hi Mr Burdess. You know that I’m doing my project about the bluff. Well,did you know that the rocks on the beach are bits of the bluff!
    Beatrix!

10. Livvy

Hi 3B, I think that the inquiry project is a good idea! It’s really facanating and interesting. Taking home the project with Fluffy and David! From Livvy

11. Deakin

Hi 3B And Mr Burdess I love Our fish. I really Love them from Deakin Jr batman ginger and Judy moody.